Let’s be serious. You need these happy little cookies in your life. You just do. It’s almost Valentine’s Day and you’re looking for some super cutsey little heart shaped things to make for your honey bunny. I know. I get it.
The best part – there are not only adorable – they’re super easy and taste just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
Recipe adapted from Steph’s Bite by Bite
Happy Baking! Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (I prefer natural unsalted)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup jam (I used grape but you can use whatever you want)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth then add the peanut butter. Add in the brown sugar and white sugar, beating until batter is fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Reducing mixer to low, add in the dry ingredients and beat until flour incorporates (don’t forget to scrape the sides of the mixer – or in my case the top of the mixing paddle).
- Scoop out teaspoons of dough and roll in to balls. Place 2 dough balls, on a baking sheet, next to each other and press thumbs in to each ball to make and indentation. Press in to the center of the two balls, dragging finger down and mold in to a heart shape. Continue this process until all the dough is done.
- Bake cookies for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven, and with the bottom of a wooden spatula handle, re-press the heart shape. Try to keep in the lines since you’re just making room a little place for the jam to sit so you want it fully contained in the cookie shape. I found it easiest to start on the outside edges of the heart and the work my way in to the top. Return the cookies back to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Mix jam in a little bowl to make it easier to spread. Spoon a little bit of jam in to the center of the cookies and distribute it to fill the heart.