If your friends, family and co-workers are anything like mine they are ALL on diets, ALWAYS. Especially when we are weeks if not days from ensuring that our swimsuit bodies are ready to go. So what could really be better than a cupcake that is half AIR? Really… air! They are already inhaling air 24 hours a day so how can anyone refuse— My argument is AIR tight!
These light and fluffy cupcakes are horribly addictive. I also made these as mini bite size cupcakes and served them with sliced strawberries and fresh whipped cream. The key to angel food cake is whipping (air into) the egg whites so be sure that there are NO traces of yolk in your egg white mixture.
This was also an excuse for me to purchase a whipped cream dispenser / charger—does the job of whipping the cream and injecting the air via Nitrous Oxide (yes, whippets). It does allow for a finished look for freshly whipped cream. Alternately you can purchase Reddi Whip or something similar if you don’t have the need or desire to invest in a charger. I used the recipe below for 2 dozen full sized cupcakes and about the same in minis.
- 1 1/8 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites AT room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line your cupcake pans, 2 full size pans and some minis
- Be sure that the egg whites are at room temperature and make sure that there are absolutely NO egg yolks in the mixture
- Combine the powdered sugar and flour and salt, whisk until thoroughly combined and all the “lumps” are gone.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add in cream of tartar, and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form (basically it will start to solidify but you don’t want them to be stiff)
- Slowly add granulated sugar and continue beat until egg whites thicken a bit more
- Finally beat in the vanilla extract
- You can now remove the bowl from the stand and with a spatula gently fold in the dry mixture ¼ at a time until done.
- Fill the full sized cupcakes about ¾ full and if you are baking minis they should be completely full.
- Bake for 18-19 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool and frost
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- Of using a whipped cream dispenser with charger combine the two ingredients until the sugar has dissolved. Load the dispenser and use as needed. Don’t forget that once you load a charger you can not refill the container so make sure that you fill it up so that you don’t waste any of the nitrous oxide.
- Alternately if you can purchase Reddi Whip or a similar product at the store to get a similar finished look OR just whip the cream in a stand mixer for a more rustic look.