Strawberry “Short” Cupcakes
What can I say- I love trying to translate traditional desserts into some sort of cupcake form. Sometimes the simplicity and minimal ingredients of a dessert is what makes it so great. I find strawberry shortcake to be that simple beautiful blend of fresh and sweet. While trying to think of something special to make for a friend of mine with a newborn baby it was clear that borrowing the components of strawberry shortcake would satisfy her sweet tooth without the richness (ie. calories) of a traditional buttercream cupcake.
For this recipe I took a simple vanilla cake recipe and sandwiched in sugared strawberries with freshly whipped cream. The result was light and the perfect amount of sweetness.
2 ¼ cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven 325 degrees, line 2 standard cupcake pans
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar together
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt, whisk to combine
- Add sour cream to the cream and sugar mixture
- Add egg to the wet mixture one at a time until each one is combined
- Finally, add vanilla and then the dry mixture to the wet mixture until combined, do not overmix
- Divide the batter among the two pans
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely before assembling
Sweet Strawberry Topping
1 lb of fresh strawberries
2 cups of sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
- Clean, hull and slice 1lb of strawberries into ¼-1/2 inch slices
- In a large pot combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Gently stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, careful not to break apart the strawberries
- Remove from heat and cool.
Fresh Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment combine heavy whipping cream and vanilla
- Whip until the mixture forms soft peaks
- Gently cut off the top of the cupcakes, set aside
- Spoon a layer of sweetened strawberry mixture on top of the cut cupcake
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh whipped cream on top of strawberries
- Place the top of the cupcake on top of the whipped cream
- Finish off with a dusting of powdered sugar (optional)