I decided to make presents for my friend’s party and for my kick *ss hairdressers because, well, just because. I made the delish little sugar cookie balls, oreo cream cheese truffles and took a crack at Samoa Cookie Bark (the whiskey bacon bark that I’ve been lusting over just didn’t work so I tossed it).
Samoa Cookie Bark
(Adapted from Endless Simmer Recipe)
- 1 11.5oz dark chocolate
- 1 cup coarsely crushed shortbread
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- ¾ cup caramel sauce
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or wax paper with about an inch of overhang on each side.
- Place coconut on a bake sheet at 350 degrees F for about 5 minutes or until coconut starts to brown (make sure to check it and move it around or it’ll burn). Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Make caramel sauce and set aside to cool. Portion out 2 tablespoons for topping.
- Place chocolate in double boiler or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water and gently stir until chocolate is melted. Portion out 2 tablespoons for topping.
- Pour half of chocolate into prepared pan, and, using an offset icing spatula smooth out chocolate until an even layer is achieved. Sprinkle coarsely crushed shortbread on top and gently press it into the chocolate. Transfer pan to the freezer for 5 minutes or until chocolate becomes slightly hardened.
- Remove pan from freezer and pour caramel sauce on top, then, using an offset icing spatula spread caramel until an even layer is achieved. Transfer pan to the freezer for 5 minutes or until caramel becomes slightly hardened.
- Remove pan from freezer and pour other half of chocolate on the caramel layer. To finish, sprinkle coconut on top and drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate and caramel on top of coconut. Transfer pan to refrigerator for about 5-10 or until bark is set. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 sleeve of oreos (or a package of the mint newman oreos!)
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate
- peppermint sprinkles (or regular sprinkles)
- Grind up the oreos in the food processor, then mix them with the cream cheese either by hand or in a stand mixer. Roll the dough in to little balls and place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Let those chill in the freezer for a about 10 minutes.
- While those are chilling, warm up the chocolate. Dip the little balls in the chocolate and immediately add the sprinkles (so they stick) then toss them all back in the fridge to set.